Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Feed Sack Apron Vignette


Starting back in the 1800's......
farmers bought their flour, salt, sugar and 
grains in cotton sacks.
 This was much easier to carry from the mercantile than barrels.
 The thrifty wives could then reuse them to sew clothing and household items.

I make a point to look 
for aprons made from feed
sacks.....like the red apron below.
I think it was made in the 40's or 50's.



I love the scalloped edges....
 and the curvy pocket.
The red and yellow is so cheerful, too!






Often I will use these finds as patterns to make aprons for everyday use.
I lay the feed sack apron on craft paper and outline each piece.Then write notes to myself of how to sew it together.





That is how I made this toile apron...
 except I lined this one.
If you would like an opportunity to win it...
 you can enter my give away here.








If you are interested there is an article about the history of feed sacks here



Thank you, Pam at From My Front Porch To Yours for featuring my hunt post
here on your Treasure Hunt Thursday! You are so kind!




Hope you have an awesome week!
Blessings, Audrey




Monday-
Newbie Party Graduate at Debbiedoo's
Masterpiece Monday at boogieboardcottage.blogspot.com
Showoff Your Cottage at http://houseinroses.blogspot.com/
Make It Pretty at the Dedicated House
Make the Scene Monday at Alderberry Hill
Metamorphosis Monday at http://betweennapsontheporch.net
Show It Off Monday at Get Outta My Head Please
Tuesday-
CowgirlUp Tuesday at CedarHill
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com
Knick of Time Tuesday at knickoftimeinteriors.blogspot.com
Tablescape Tuesday at astrollthrulife.blogspot.com
Tuesday’s Treasures at www.myuncommonsliceofsuburbia.com
Transformation Tuesday at The Ironstone Nest
Turning The Daunting Into the Do-able at projectqueen.org
Wednesday-
Wednesday is Rednesday at suelovescherries.blogspot.com
What’s It Wednesday at ivyandelephants.blogspot.com
Thursday-
Open House Party at nominimalisthere.blogspot.com
Grace at Home at Imparting Grace
Pearls and Lace Thursday at faithgracecrafts.blogspot.com
Share Your Cup Thursday at http://jannolson.blogspot.com/
Tablescape Thursday at betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com
Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage
Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits at Stone Gable
Treasurehunt Thursday at frommyfrontporchtoyours.blogspot.
Friday-
Air Your Laundry at www.freckledlaundry.com
Freestyle Friday at www.happyhourprojects.com
Home Sweet Home at thecharmofhome.blogspot.com
Show and Tell Friday at romantichome.blogspot.com
Simple and Sweet Friday's at Rooted In Thyme
Saturday-
Pink Saturday at howsweetthesound.typepad.com
Sunday-
Sunday’s Best at my1929charmerblog.com
Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming

7 comments:

thistlewoodfarm said...

Those are so pretty! And I love how you styled them.....especially the blue one!

Have a great day rock star!
karianne

Gina said...

Both are so pretty! I love the blue one that you made. Looks great how you styled it too.

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Cute aprons! I really like the blue toile one. Thanks for the little history lesson about feedsacks! I like the yellow cow creamer too! Have a great weekend! Gina

Babs said...

Those are so pretty. The red and yellow ones remind me of the aprons my mother and grandmother wore. Thanks for the tutorial and how to make the pattern.
Have a great weekend,
Babs

Richella Parham said...

I love this! My mother had a much-loved apron very much like the one you feature here--now I wonder if it might have been made from feed sack fabric!

Love the quotation from Teresa of Avila on your sidebar, by the way. Thanks for joining Grace at Home!

Honey at 2805 said...

These are so pretty, Audrey! I always appreciate the inspiration you share at Potpourri Friday!

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

So very pretty, and loved that you used the old apron for a new pattern. One of my most treasured aprons is one my Mom made for me before she died. There's just something special about aprons, brings up nostalgia! Thanks for sharing your inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...