Monday, August 13, 2012

Collecting and Decorating with Black Transferware


My rule 
for collecting plates
and dishes is
" it can't cost more than a Happy Meal."

For the most part I stick to this rule because
1.it keeps me within my budget 
2. it makes collecting a challenge...
 and more fun!





Since I LOVE collecting.....
 and decorating 
with many colors and styles of dishes....
it is a very good thing that I stick to my rule!




So I am always on the watch
 for dishes that catch my eye....
 in flea markets....
at yard sales....
church basement sales....
Big Lots....WallyWorld...
Hobby Lobby.....GoodWill....
My Mom's.....
well you get the idea!
[smile...just a teensie bit obsessive]




This Spode plate was a bit more.
$12
It was gift from my sweetheart.
 At twelve dollars it was a deal,
but more than a Happy Meal,
so I was going to pass it by.
Thankfully.....
my Sweetheart enjoys collecting, too.





The Staffordshire was perfect-$1! 
That's right....a dollar!
AND.....
there were 2! 
 Happy Dance!




Commemorative plates are really inexpensive.....
 and easy to find.
 They are often made to celebrate a person or a building.
 Sometimes they are made to celebrate an occasion. 
I paid $1.50 for this plate commemorating a church. 









The black transferware mixes beautifully
 with my green bottles,
 cream lace, black framed pictures.
None of the dishes match one another,
 but who cares?
I think they mix quite well.

Most of my collection is a bit chippy
 from hanging on the wall....
I don't let that keep me from buying a dish,
but don't use them as serving pieces.







Some of the small plates nestle sweetly
 in a basket 
with a lace doily in the front
 and ivy in the back.




Putting together a collection of dishes needn't be expensive
 or matchy- matchy to express your style and personality!
 Just keep your eyes open for the deals and possibilities!

In case you haven't heard Debbie 
at Debbie Do's is having a reunion this week.
 She is the fabulous lady that helped many a person get her blog off the ground.
If you are a Newbie or if You participated in her Newbie Parties why don't you join us!

Blessings,

Audrey


 Monday-
Mosaic Monday at dearlittleredhouse.blogspot.com
Make It Pretty at the Dedicated House
Make the Scene Monday at Alderberry Hill
Metamorphosis Monday at http://betweennapsontheporch.net
Show It Off Monday at Get Outta My Head Please
Tuesday-
CowgirlUp Tuesday at CedarHill
Knick of Time Tuesday at knickoftimeinteriors.blogspot.com
Tablescape Tuesday at astrollthrulife.blogspot.com
Tuesday’s Treasures at www.myuncommonsliceofsuburbia.com
Transformation Tuesday at The Ironstone Nest
Turning The Daunting Into the Do-able at projectqueen.org

Wednesday-
Wednesday is Rednesday at suelovescherries.blogspot.com
What’s It Wednesday at ivyandelephants.blogspot.com
Thursday-
Open House Party at nominimalisthere.blogspot.com
Grace at Home at Imparting Grace
Pearls and Lace Thursday at faithgracecrafts.blogspot.com
Share Your Cup Thursday at http://jannolson.blogspot.com/
Tablescape Thursday at betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com
Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage
Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits at Stone Gable
Treasurehunt Thursday at frommyfrontporchtoyours.blogspot.
Friday-
Air Your Laundry at www.freckledlaundry.com
Freestyle Friday at www.happyhourprojects.com
Home Sweet Home at thecharmofhome.blogspot.com
Kiss Me I'm Irish at I Gotta Create
Show and Tell Friday at romantichome.blogspot.com
Simple and Sweet Friday's at Rooted In Thyme
Saturday-
Pink Saturday at howsweetthesound.typepad.com
Sunday-
Sunday’s Best at my1929charmerblog.com
Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming

21 comments:

Joy Tilton said...

Just over from Theresa's Southern Country Home and I am loving all your great decorating ideas! I too love to collect pretty plates, have a million... want MORE! Love hunting plates esp. anything that has a homey Fall/holiday look grabs my eye, and my pocketbook! Come over to Granny Mountain for a visit when you have the time~
Joy C.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! What lovely plates and you have certainly put together some pretty vignettes! Glad your hubby pays attention as the plate is so pretty! I love plates and dishes too.
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Clara said...

Beautiful post1 I love the hunt scene plate and the staffordshire dogs. Thank you for stopping by.
~Clara

Gina said...

You have a beautiful collection of dishes and I love how you mix & match them together.

Rooms by Ann said...

You have agraet collection, just beautiful.

Connie said...

Hello Audrey, your dishes are so very elegant. I love them all. I also collect dishes and mixing bowls. I think it is so much fun to have a table that has been collected through the, time honored treasure hunt. Only a treasure hunter would know what I mean.
My very favorite sister (really a sister-in-law, my brother married when I was 3 years old) was named Audrey, because of her I associate that name with warmth, truth, honor and loveliness. My dear sister passed away a few years ago in her sleep. Just before going to bed she had baked my brother a pie, then got ready for bed and kissed him good-night . . . I love you was the last words they ever spoke to one another. This was after 56 years of marriage. Theirs was a true love story. Oh my, I do carry on.
I just want to say, thank you for following my blog. I truly appreciate the encouragement. Have a wonderful week,
Connie :)

All The Pretty Dishes said...

Great collection and your photos are awesome!

Unknown said...

Wow, your collection is amazing!! Such beautiful collections! Your newest follower from Debbiedo's! :)

Kathy @ http://lifeonlakeshoredrive.blogpsot.com

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Beautiful collection, I love the pattern of those plates. You did such a pretty vignette too. You also got a bargain for them...so lucky too!!
FABBY

Stephanie said...

You have a great collection and they are displayed beautifully.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Those are all beautiful pieces! I love and collect transferware too - it's hard to pass up a beautiful piece but I think I've run out of room!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty dishes, Audrey! That's a good rule to set for yourself. I've been finding a few nice things at Goodwill lately, which is great because they are in great shape and don't cost a lot at all. I feel like I'm getting something pretty without breaking the budget.

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

I love your beautiful collections. How special they are. It's wonderful to mix and match. Thanks for sharing your treasures.

The Vintage Chateau said...

I love transferware too and find black especially hard to come by. Thanks for sharing your collection, I am a new follower!
Karee

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

What a beautiful post! Love the patterns on those dishes! I collect red and blue transferware!

Hugs,
Debbie

Susanne said...

Pretty finds, Audrey. My rule is that it must be in perfect condition and I must know where I will display it right away. The only time I stray is if it matches perfectly with something I already own. Since I am a bit of a basket nut (collected without any limits) I enjoy displaying plates in baskets too. Loved your post today. By the way, it's been years since I bought one - how much does a Happy Meal cost these days?

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I adore transferware but have never found deals like this. I'm obviously not looking in the right places. The Happy Meal rule is perfect too!

Honey at 2805 said...

Your find such great deals on transferware. Your black is really lovely and I like the variety of pieces you have,but your red is my favorite!

Thank you for sharing your gorgeous dish collection at Potpourri Friday!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

I'm always so happy to find that someone else has a plate addiction as do I. Yours are wonderful! I love that they are mix matched. Just makes the collection that more interesting. I love your collection of black and whites. The commerative church plate has such gorgeous pops of color. You have displayed them all in so many fun ways. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
Hugs,
Jann

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Your dishes are so very pretty - I've recently reconnected with my love of blue plates, and can't get enough! I think I am addicted - what a great thing to be addicted to! Love your collection and how you display them - but then you always so such a great vignette. Love the lace in front of the basket with plates behind. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

Vintage Street Designs said...

You have a beautiful collection! I have a thing for dishes too! Hopped over from What's It Wednesday and I'm happy to be your newest follower. Would love to have you stop by for a visit! Blessings ~ Judy @ www.vintagestreetdesigns.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...