Monday, August 20, 2012

DIY Wind Chimes- Out of Silverware


We love wind chimes!

Our yard has several, 

but you can't have too much of a good thing.

Always on the lookout for a new craft
 I have been noticing
 some beautiful wind chimes
 made from vintage silverware.....

Project List 
2 spoons,
 2 forks, 
an old pearl and gold necklace
a few pieces of  chandelier crystals
[from Lowe's]
a lid from a jar
several small beads
and wire




Drill  5 holes in the lid--
1 in the middle
 and 4 evenly spaced around the sides
a bead wired in the bottom holds the hook in place




Wire the necklace to a free formed hook....
I just played with it until I  liked it....
mixed several different wires-
the hook wire is heavier than the wires holding the silverware.
[you could use fishing line]




Flatten the spoons....
 do this out side.....
not on your counters or dining room table...
[unless you are hoping to get a new one]
make sure you have a hard surface that can't be damaged!




Our last name is Sterling so I glued a metal 'S' to the flattened spoon.




 Drill holes
 in the tops of the spoons
 and forks
 and the
 bottoms of the flattened spoons.

Use your goggles metal shavings are not fun in the eye!





Bend the tines of the fork
 and wire some crystals to them.




 Wire crystals to the spoons
 and a larger crystal to the necklace in the center.


 Hang it outside and enjoy!
Remember that your wind chime should be 
 uniquely yours...
don't try to make yours just like mine....
it's your creation! 
Have fun making yours
 with whatever found objects
 that you have around your house.

Hope you have a blessed week!
Audrey

Monday-
Newbie Party Graduate at Debbiedoo's
Make It Pretty at the Dedicated House
Make the Scene Monday at Alderberry Hill
Metamorphosis Monday at http://betweennapsontheporch.net
Show It Off Monday at Get Outta My Head Please
Tuesday-
CowgirlUp Tuesday at CedarHill
Knick of Time Tuesday at knickoftimeinteriors.blogspot.com
Tablescape Tuesday at astrollthrulife.blogspot.com
Tuesday’s Treasures at www.myuncommonsliceofsuburbia.com
Transformation Tuesday at The Ironstone Nest
Turning The Daunting Into the Do-able at projectqueen.org

Wednesday-
Wednesday is Rednesday at suelovescherries.blogspot.com
What’s It Wednesday at ivyandelephants.blogspot.com
Thursday-
Open House Party at nominimalisthere.blogspot.com
Grace at Home at Imparting Grace
Pearls and Lace Thursday at faithgracecrafts.blogspot.com
Share Your Cup Thursday at http://jannolson.blogspot.com/
Tablescape Thursday at betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com
Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage
Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits at Stone Gable
Treasurehunt Thursday at frommyfrontporchtoyours.blogspot.
Friday-
Air Your Laundry at www.freckledlaundry.com
Freestyle Friday at www.happyhourprojects.com
Home Sweet Home at thecharmofhome.blogspot.com
Kiss Me I'm Irish at I Gotta Create
Show and Tell Friday at romantichome.blogspot.com
Simple and Sweet Friday's at Rooted In Thyme
Saturday-
Pink Saturday at howsweetthesound.typepad.com
Sunday-
Sunday’s Best at my1929charmerblog.com
Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming

8 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

This is so so darling! I love it. So nice of you to share with the newbie graduates,glad to see you. I am not seeing my link or perhaps I just missed it:)

Honey at 2805 said...

This is precious, Audrey! Thanks for the tutorial. I have old jewelry, beads and vintage silver plate galore!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

How cute is that! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

The Porcelain Rose said...

Oh! how pretty! I LOVE your wind chimes!!
You are a girl after my own heart.
I love hand made pretties and I'm always looking for great re-purpose projects.
I think I may have to steal this idea.
I just spent the last few days turning thrift store finds into outdoor accents. I hope you will stop by for a visit. Your wind chime project would go perfect with what I have done so far.
Thank you for sharing your lovely project with us.
Will visit again soon.
Elizabeth

Brandi said...

Such a clever idea. I love listening to the sound of wind chimes blowing in the wind. Thank you for sharing.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Love it....gotta find some odd pieces of silverware...great idea!!

Arbrasgallery said...

What a lovely spoon. i love it. Thanks for sharing us.
Silverware

Unknown said...

This is such an adorable idea! I love the idea of using silverware! It's such a classy, vintage idea. I am looking for some elegant wind chimes for my home, because I think that wind chimes are such a lovely addition to any home! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas with us! http://www.ecdistributors-gifts.com/listing.asp?dept_id=30090&nopopup=1

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...